Executive Director Position Open for PPP
Public Participation Project – Executive Director
The Public Participation Project (PPP) in Washington, D.C., seeks an Executive Director to lead its campaign to secure federal anti-SLAPP legislation to protect the First Amendment rights of petition and speech. This legislation, if passed by Congress, will protect against SLAPPs (Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation). More than eighty organizations and businesses, and more than forty prominent individuals, support this effort. Please see www.anti-slapp.org for more information on PPP and this effort.
* Fundraising. A significant portion of the Executive Director’s time will be dedicated to fundraising.
* Shepherding the project through its transition to independent nonprofit organization, including working with the Board of Directors.
* Overseeing regulatory compliance, office management, database management. Duties will include supervising part-time staff and/or interns, and will eventually include supervising a Legislative Director and a Development Director.
* Maintaining relationships with current coalition – a diverse group of stakeholders with varying priorities, and expanding coalition to reflect changing political realities and needs.
* Carrying out public relations/communications strategy to publicize and build support for the bill.
* Developing congressional contacts, securing cosponsors and working to build support for passage in the appropriate committees and in the Congress at large.
* Minimum 5 years experience in public policy advocacy, government relations, campaign or organizational management, development, or related areas of work. J.D. or Bachelors degree preferred.
* The ideal candidate will have experience with nonprofit management and fundraising.
* Candidate must be individually motivated, excited to build a project, and able to keep momentum.
* Must be able to wear many hats and be adept at relationship management – from the Board to the funders to the Congress to the coalition members.
* Familiarity with Congress a very big plus – experience working on the hill or prior lobbying experience will be helpful.
* Familiarity with First Amendment issues a big plus, but not required, if candidate can demonstrate ability to quickly navigate complex topics and handle a steep learning curve.
* Some experience with public relations/communications also a plus.
* Looking to fill the position as soon as possible.
* Please send cover letter (including salary history and requirements and list of references), resume, and a writing sample, via email only to Evan Mascagni, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Applications accepted until position is filled.
Commensurate with experience.